Yeah, it’s raw (and vegan), it’s got cream cheese frosting, and it tastes amazing. I found this recipe on Healthful Pursuit and whipped it up for Thanksgiving this year. It was a full on hit! This is a great dessert because it’s raw so it doesn’t involve any baking, and it only takes about 20 minutes to make. If you’re looking for something tastey, and not too heavy, this is the perfect option…So get on it!
There is one small detail, you must make this the night before you plan on eating it. The cream cheese frosting has to set overnight and so this does require some planning on your part.
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4-6 hours
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut/palm sugar, ground fine – I used a coffee grinder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrot, unpeeled (about 4 carrots)
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted (about 8 dates)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, divided
- 1/3 cup dried apricots (about 10 dates)
- 1/2 cup raisins, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
I found that my iPad works in the kitchen as a handy little recipe guide!
To make the cream “cheese”:
- line a 4 cup glass container with cheese cloth. Combine cashews, coconut oil, almond milk, vinegar, and lemon juice in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the container, cover and leave on the counter overnight.
- In the morning, place cream “cheese” into food processor bowl, add powdered coconut sugar and vanilla and process until smooth.
- place dates, apricots, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in a food processor and pulse until pureed but still chunky.
- Add in remaining ingredients and pulse until combined.
Bringing it all together:
- Add in remaining divided ingredients (walnuts and raisins) to the cake mixture for a bit of texture.
- Place cake mix into a 8″ spring form pan, no need to oil or line. Press the mixture firmly to the bottom.
- Top with cream “cheese”, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.