Monday evening I had a lovely lady guest over for a girls evening which was reason enough for me to cook! I’ll admit, sometimes I tend to go slightly overboard when having house guests to cook for as most evenings I generally fend for myself. Preparing healthy and delicious meals for one is fine, but when I get to share them with others, my excitement tends to get the best of me and I turn into a vegan version of Betty Crocker.
This time around, our menu consisted of pistachio mint falafel balls over a salad of mixed greens and kale with avocado and carrots and topped with a lemon, cashew dressing. I also served a side of coconut-chili-lime cauliflower rice (that recipe is in my queue).
I’m constantly in search of food that is not only tasty, but good for you and pistachios fit the bill! They are packed full of vitamins including copper, manganese, and phosphorus. They’re also an excellent source of vitamin B6, containing 20% of the Daily Value per serving! A serving of pistachio nuts also has about 3 grams of dietary fiber, or around 12% of the Daily Value. This is twice the fiber in an ounce of walnuts, and about the same amount as in a serving of oatmeal.
Hey y’all mowing down those Fiber One bars…I’ve got a better idea!
- 1 Cup Pistachios (shelled, I also used roasted and salted)
- 1/4 cup almonds (raw)
- 2 Cups Garbanzo Beans
- 8 – 10 Fresh Springs of Mint
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 3 Scallions
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
Lemon Cashew Dressing:
- 1/2 Cup Cashews, soaked
- 2 Lemons, Juiced
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Tahini
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix all the falafel ingredients in a food processor until ingredients stick together loosely (you’re looking for a rough consistency)
- Make around 28-20 falafel balls with your hands and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the balls every 5 minutes to get an even golden brown color.
- Blend the lemon cashew dressing ingredients in a high-speed blender until creamy and smooth. Add more water to get desired consistency.
- Place falafel balls on top of a salad, our use large lettuce leafs to create a wrap. Top with lemon cashew dressing and your favorite fixin’s!