After many trips to the East coast for my 500 hour yoga training with Dharma Mittra, I kept going back to the same place for this one simple dish. At the Jivamukti Yoga Studio in Union Square they have this Millet salad that had somehow been coated with a delicious Spirulina “sauce”. Well, I did some experimenting and I think I came up with a similar taste!
This AMAZING vegan dish is both filling and satisfying. I turned my Spirulina Millet into a salad, but you could add it to any dish as a replacement for your normal grain (brown rice, quinoa..etc.)
Ingredients: (makes 6 to 8 servings)
- 1 cup millet
- 3 cups water
- 5 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 5 tablespoons powdered spirulina
- 2-3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos (gluten-free) or soy sauce
- Optional: spinach and carrot pulp for salad
- 4-6 carrots, juiced (save the pulp!)
- 2/3 cup carrot pulp
- 1 large piece of ginger, juiced (about 2-3 inches)
- 1-2 Tbs miso paste
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Place dry millet in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes or until the water is absorbed, and the millet is fluffy.
- Remove from heat. Mix in the flax oil, spirulina, and Bragg’s with a fork until all of the millet is bright green.
- For the dressing, combine all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high-speed for about 30 seconds.
- Place a heaping scoop of Millet on top of a fresh bed of spinach and carrot pulp from the carrot juice used in the dressing. Top with your home-made carrot ginger miso dressing and enjoy!
In other news…I was recently in this fun little photo shoot and the magazine has finally arrived! I had such a fun experience and wanted to share the results with you all: